“Dishes of the World” is a cooking game for ages four to eight, in which children opt for a specific country and level of difficulty. Children are shown dishes that are typical of the country they have chosen, for which they must select the correct ingredients.
If the level of difficulty is “easy”, the cook explains what the ingredients are. If the level of difficulty is “medium”, the children must identify the ingredients directly on the basis of the dishes they see. At the highest level of difficulty, the children must do this within a specific time frame.
Unlike many other cooking games, this game is based on real-life recipes and can therefore serve as an introduction to different styles of cuisine.
In playing the game, the objective is for children aged between four and eight to understand and acknowledge the following in terms of their own nutrition:
- People cook differently depending on which part of the world they come from.
- Every culture has its own traditional food with traditional ingredients to go with it.
- People around the world use different cooking utensils to prepare dishes depending on where they come from.
- It is possible to categorise ingredients by the countries in which they are typically used.
- It is possible to identify typical dishes from different countries and continents.
- The game allows you to learn the basic steps in preparing typical recipes.
In “Dishes of the World”, you can prepare up to 15 recipes that showcase styles of cooking on various continents. The game features three typical recipes each from France, the USA, India, China and Mali respectively.
This allows children to learn about basic food preparation methods and the ingredients that accompany them. You can then cook the actual dishes with the children (making sure, of course, to go easy on those naturally hot spices).